The Elder Scrolls 5 – Skyrim: The Level Up Glitch
Glitches abound in the world of The Elder Scrolls 5 – Skyrim and even in the whole franchise altogether. Some of the glitches are funny, however, and some are actually even beneficial. One of the glitches that you can find super beneficial is the Level Up Glitch. This glitch works for just about any plot-important invulnerable NPCs and also works on Ralof, an early companion from Helgen. Here are some instructions on how you can take advantage of it.
First, however, you have to free Hadvar from Helgen. Take note of the quest called “Unbound”, because this is the point where you escape instead of getting together with Ralof. Hadvar will then appear in Riverwood.
- Go to Riverwood and visit Alvor and Sigrid’s House. You will find Hadvar there.
- Wait for Alvor to leave at around 8 am. Sigrid and a little girl will be downstars. Hadvar will be waiting upstairs all alone. If he is not there yet then just wait for him there. Make sure you save the game at this point.
- Sneak behind Hadvar when he is upstairs alone. Equip your existing weapon according to the skill you want to level up. (e.g. One-Handed, Two-Handed…)
- Strike Hadvar from behind. This will shoot up your Sneak and combat skills. He will fall over and then rise without you suffering from criminal repercussions. He will not die because he is invulnerable.
- Do it again. Wait for him to get up and then sneak behind him and then perform the heavy strike again.
- Experiment on magic attacks because not all will work.
- Keep doing this to level up your chosen skills.